How to Setup Klaviyo with Shopify for Data-Driven Customer Outreach
Nurturing nearly converted and existing customers is one of the most effective ways to grow your business. After all, notifying a current customer of a sale they might like, or tempting someone who abandoned their cart with a discount, is a time-honored way to grow your business.
Yet, it may be time to change the way you connect with your customers. Relying exclusively on email outreach might not be enough anymore. Email marketing has become a standard practice, which means consumers are inundated with outreach emails.
Fortunately, SMS has emerged as an effective way to nurture customer relationships. Roughly 91% of consumers would opt-in to text messages from brands, while the SMS response rate is an astounding 45%.
That doesn’t mean you should abandon your email marketing efforts. A solution like Klaviyo is an excellent option for both SMS and email marketing. Klaviyo is a powerful, data-driven platform that uses dynamic customer segmentation to leverage email and SMS to connect with your customers.
So, let’s explore what it takes to get the most value out of Klaviyo with your Shopify website. We’ll begin by examining Klaviyo and what it brings to the table, then walk you through how you can use Klaviyo to grow your business.
What is Klaviyo?
There are plenty of options available for both email and SMS marketing. However, Klaviyo differentiates itself by leveraging customer data to create dynamic customer segments that automatically use both contact methods to reach your customers.
Traditional marketing lists are static, meaning someone who opts in through a specific form is added to the accompanying list or is moved to a list manually. Then, subscribers on that static list are taken through a pre-made campaign.
Klaviyo uses dynamic lists so that a customer moves between segments based on how you configure them. A typical example is having a campaign for the first 30 days after a custom opt-in, after which they’re automatically moved to a new segment.
You can create hyper-segmented workflows that automate your outreach while maintaining a personal touch that consumers appreciate.
Top Benefits of Using Klaviyo with Shopify
Why should you use Klaviyo with your Shopify store? The platforms work well together and help your store earn more repeat customers and recover more abandoned carts.
Some of the biggest benefits include:
- Klaviyo uses Shopify’s data to trigger events: You can create workflows within Klaviyo that trigger based on how a customer interacts with your Shopify store. For example, if a customer buys a pair of sunglasses, you can automatically notify them about a discount on beach towels.
- Create segments based on Shopify’s customer data: Customer segmentation is vital, and Klaviyo leverages customer data from Shopify to create these segments. For example, you can create a segment for customers with high average cart values, and customers who meet the criteria will automatically be added to that segment.
- Use Shopify sales and discounts in Klaviyo’s outreach: Shopify allows you to create discounts, and Klaviyo will pull them to add to your SMS or email outreach. This feature saves time and prevents errors that can accompany doing this task manually.
If you’re looking to grow your ecommerce store, Klaviyo might just be the secret weapon you’ve been wanting.
How to Setup Klaviyo with Shopify
You can set up Klaviyo to work with your Shopify store without needing a developer. The integration process is well-designed and relatively easy to follow.
We’re focusing on Shopify, but Klaviyo works with nearly every ecommerce platform. You can check Klaviyo’s official documentation if you need help with a different platform.
1. Create a Klaviyo Account
You’ll need a Klaviyo account to get started. First, check out Klaviyo’s pricing to pick the right plan. They offer a free plan for smaller stores. Otherwise, you can enter your needs for a custom price. The setup process is similar to setting up accounts with other web apps.
- Once set up, log in to your Klaviyo account and look for the ‘Integrations’ tab.
- Look for ‘Shopify Integration.’
- Select ‘Add Integration.’
2. Configure Your Shopify Store within Klaviyo
You’ll be taken to a page that starts by asking for your Shopify store’s URL. There are other options that you should be aware of:
- Collect email subscribers: Migrate your current email subscribers over to Klaviyo, and you can assign them to a specific list.
- Collect SMS subscribers: Migrates SMS subscribers and assigns them to a specific list. Additionally, there’s an option for ‘sync customer SMS subscription status to Shopify.’ That option keeps both platforms up to date with your subscribers' preferences and status.
- Update Shopify customer profiles with Klaviyo data: This option is recommended to keep data in both apps in sync.
- Do you sell products to customers within the European Union?: You’ll likely want to select yes unless you explicitly do not service the EU.
3. Install the Klaviyo App within Shopify
After the above configuration screen, you’ll be directed to Shopify and prompted to install the Klaviyo app. This step is the same as installing any other Shopify app; you’ll see what Klaviyo will have access to before you click ‘Install app.’
4. Import Historical Customer Data
Klaviyo will automatically import data from the past 90 days so that you can get started with your most recent customers. Once complete, Klaviyo will begin importing all historical data. Depending on how many customers you have, it can take a few minutes or a few days.
5. Setup Your First Subscriber Segment
Now, you’re ready to create subscriber segments and associated campaigns. Remember, you’re not making static lists but workflows between segments that customers will move through based on their data.
Creating a segment focuses on deciding on an engagement definition. Customers who meet the condition will be added to the segment, and customers will be removed if they do not.
Setting up a segment is simple:
- Navigate to the ‘Lists & Segments’ tab within Klaviyo
- Click ‘Create List/Segment’
- Select ‘Segment’
- Decide on the specific engagement definition for that segment
- Click ‘Create Segment’
You can view the official Klaviyo documentation to learn more about segments and campaigns.
Grow Your Business with Data-Driven Outreach
Leveraging SMS and email marketing in tandem is a recipe for success. Klaviyo provides both contact methods in one platform, and seamlessly integrates with Shopify and other ecommerce platforms. In addition, both platforms work together to deliver data-driven outreach that adds a personal touch that will help bring customers back to your store.
Are you looking for other ways to increase your revenue? Parkfield Commerce helps brands pivot to a direct-to-consumer (D2C) business model, giving you more control over your business – and more revenue.
Ready to get started? Contact us today to speak to our team of marketing experts, and see how we can position your brand for explosive growth in ecommerce.